From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2012 19:58:58 -0400
> If science can land a man on the moon ... what could be so tough about finding varroa's Achilles heel?

I will proceed as if this is a serious question. (not sure it is) First, it is a fact of life that when the easy problems are solved, only the hard ones remain. Next, putting a man on the moon was a national goal and millions of dollars were spent on it. No such imperative exists to wipe out varroa. It's not on the national agenda and won't be. Even if it were, simply spending money does not cure the hard problems like cancer, heart disease and AIDS. Finally, there already is a potential solution in the pipeline and that is RNA interference. It can be used to knock down viruses, mites, nosema, a variety of things. But the current climate is anti-Monsanto, anti-GMO, anti-technology. Will beekeepers use a high tech solution or keep on with the bathtub cures?

PLB