From:
"Susan W. Cobey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 11:13:41 -0500
Vince wrote;

        I'm not opposed to the importation of semen but I am not sure we
are ready for it. If we had the semen from a truly resistant line, we
would still have to do all the very expensive selection and assay work
that it took in the the first place, or the traits will be lost. Sure
this is the best approach to our problem but I doubt the industrys desire
or ability to support such work.

My response;

        Sure, semen importation is only the first step.  You will need an
established gene pool to introduce this to,  a selection program to
maintain heavy selection pressure on this to keep the desirable traits plus
ensure the stock is commercially viable (productive, gentle, winter hardy,
etc.)  Yes, this is labor intensive and expensive and will require a long
term commitment. But, I do believe this type of support must come from the
industry,  we can not rely solely upon the USDA to do this for us.
Beekeepers need to demand this from their queen producers and support them
in this effort. I think the majority of beekeepers are willing to pay a
little extra for queens,  if these are of high quality and reduce chemical
usage.

        We need to start somewhere. There are a few interests in taking on
this challenge.  Hybri-Bee, Inc is willing to make this investment. The New
World Carniolan Program is also willing.  As queen breeders see the
potential here -  they will need to "get on the bandwagon" to stay
competitive.

        I'm not suggesting that importation is the answer all. We still
need to select among our own stocks first.  But, why not see if we can
speed up and enhance these programs with importation of semen from proven
stock.  This will then need to be tested  to determine if it is compatible
with domestic stocks we are crossing this with,  and tested to determine
if it is commercially viable under U.S. beekeeping practices, etc.  The
beekeeping industry needs  this level of sophistication and this can
provide the encouragement of the first baby step in that direction.

Susan Cobey
Ohio State University
Dept. of Entomology
1735 Neil Ave.