From:
Sid Pullinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 12:26:38 -0400
<<<<Can anybody enlighten me on the Snelgrove Swarm control system.?>>>>

L E Snelgrove M.A  M.Sc. and several titles in the bee world lived in
Somerset, Southern England,  published his book SWARMING.  IT'S CONTROL AND
PREVENTION, which ran to nine editions from around 1934 to1946.  It will be
found in any good beekeeping library.  A new re-print is available from
Northern Bee Books, Scout Bottom Farm, Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge, West
Yorkshire HX7 5JS Tel.01422 882751 for £6.75

The method involves extra brood chambers and a special screen board
splitting the stock and  containing six apertures which are alternately
shut or opened at different times.  I looked at the method many years ago
and rejected it as too complex for the number of hives I was running.
Ideal, perhaps, for someone with few hives and time to spare.  I settled
long ago for routine 7 to 9 day inspections and a simple form of Demaree
when swarming was started.              Sid P.