From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 20:21:01 +0000
Been meaning to reply to this thread, and Jerry's mail pushed me to do so!

Honey bees, are as most concerned individuals realise under many pressures.

Often the contribution made by these insects via. their pollination activities is quoted.  Usually
in recognition of their value in direct pollination of crops consumed by man or domesticated stock.
George Imirie touched on this area.
But also, bees are essential for the maintenance of soil fertility.
Soils need leguminous plants to fix atmospheric nitrogen into the soil. The seed required to grow
these plants is ensured by - honey bee pollination.
Without our bees, there would be a massive lack in quantities required.
Hence,
bees are a key link in the production cycle of crops that do not require the presence of primary
pollinators; such as cereals.

Without the bees providing the critical link in seed production for such plants as alfalfa, clover,
trefoils etc. the soil fertility required in maize, wheat, barley, potatoes etc., etc. would rapidly
reduce to a level of exhaustion.

Bees also have to be protected against the potential of sub lethal intoxication from insecticides -
a little understood area of study at the present.

Our problem as ever - is that apiculture is a minority activity, little understood by the general
population. One that is difficult to approach as a curious bystander.
Mr. and Mrs. Public et al. know little, hear little and show little enthusiasm - whereas in reality,
our apicultural activities are of strategical importance, how ever one approaches modern
agriculture.

Let our industry wither away to the peril of the general public!

Peter