From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 06:32:11 -0600
Hello Dick & All,

 >I had a hive that tested (FABIS) as having a 12.9% chance of being
africanized.

In the May issue of ABJ I show the tools used to do the test. Explain
exactly how the test is done. In my opinion operator error could produce a
reading of 12%. One quickly sees how complicated the test is to perform. The
computer program is set to reject any measurement out of known bee
measurement BUT what of measurements which are off slightly? What if slides
which are poorly done. What if third segments were disected poorly. What if
the comparison AHB sample was prepared poorly or incorrect?

I am not saying the percent of Dick's sample is not accurate as it could
error on the low side. Read the ABJ article.

To simplify aggrssive behavior it can be caused by many things besides
genetics which we all know. Skunks and environmental reasons.Also beekeepers
dropping and banging frames, constant smashing bees while doing inspections.
I call it the Mister Magoo syndrum! All of us have worked hives with a bee
masher. Each mashed bee releases venom and temperment changes.

 I also believe that wax contamination and mites can cause bees to be
aggressive. happy bees are less aggressive as displayed by how easy bees are
to work in a honey flow.

However the genetics which control aggressive behavior researchers talk
about are found in most scutellata. Not to say on a beautiful day with a
honey flow scutellata could not be worked similar to our bees but  bees with
AHB genetics can be unpredictable which what the beekeeper needs to be
concerned about.

The reason for new rules on bee removal being put in place in California &
Florida. Your safety and the safety of others.

With snakes & spiders we are shown the dangerous can be told from the non
dangerous by looks. Not so with AHB.

Caution is the word to pass on about swarms today in areas of AHB. Not fear
but caution.

Dick's hive in my opinion carried the aggressive genes. I have seen these
aggressive "hot" hives for many years and from most queen producers but they
used to be rare and did not display the other common  traits of true AHB
genetics.

The true AHB hive can carry many queens all laying ( plus laying workers).
Many myths exist about AHB. One is the *queen*lays twice as many eggs as EU
queens every day. It is true that if you monitor eggs in an AHB hive you
might see around 5000 new eggs in 24 hours but researchers now believe those
eggs did not come from a single queen. She had help!

I do not recommend casting the aggressive AHB hive to the four winds. I
recommend (at this point in AHB colonization) depopulating the hive when all
bees are in the hive.

AHB will become a reality of beekeeping life. Many will quit beekeeping.
Others will adjust. Time frame for colonization is unpredictable but
Southern California is becoming AHB faster than any place in the U.S. right
now.

Bob