From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:01:18 -0500
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:00:38 -0500, Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I know of no queen breeders who submit their stock to DNA tests to
>ensure their purity. We do know that Apis mellifera scutellata is now
>from California to Georgia to stay and has been found in NY and Maine
>(documented) and, without question, in many other states. So Apis
>mellifera scutellata will eventually be in whole or in part in all the US.

Brian writes

I just spoke with Strachan Apiaries in California today to learn more about AHB in that area and
what they are doing in their operation. I have purchased their new world carniolan bees for 10 yrs
now and like how they winter and produce. Anyhow she mentioned that because they ship to
Canada thay must have DNA data to ship so they do test.

So I assume this is a requirement for any bees (queens/pkg's) shipping out of USA to Canada.
Does anybody know more about this?

Based on the general attitude on this board that beekeepers will manage AHB just fine & dandy, I
would expect that this kind of governmental requirement would be equally frowned upon.  We
would not want any US states or the feds to ask for data to certify AHB free right ? Åfterall there's
nothing we can do about it.....