From:
Al Lipscomb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:32:17 -0400

> If the normal nectar flow in your area begins about April
> 15th, supers should be in place BEFORE that date.  The "old
> timers" used to put one super in place, add a second super
> when the first was near full, and likewise for the 3rd super,
> etc.; and lost swarm after swarm.  Scientific research during
> the past 20 years has clearly shown the best supering is to
> put many supers on ALL AT THE SAME TIME (read page 618 in the
> 1992 Edition of the Hive and Honey Bee).

Bees require additional space to reduce the moisture content of nectar
to make honey. The additional cell space provided by the extra supers
allows for faster evaporation (more surface area) and makes the work
easier for the bees. I would have at least two empty supers (of drawn
comb) on any hive during a nectar flow. One for the bees to cap, the
other a working area for arriving nectar and the evaporation process.