From:
Steve Bonine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:49:01 -0600
Keith Malone:

> I whole heartedly agree, A persons words should be backed up by
> their name.

Yes, but who's to say that the name that's on the email message is
real.  How do you know I'm "Steve Bonine"?  Put yourself in the shoes
of the moderator . . . someone signs up for Bee-L using a reasonable-
looking email address and submits a reasonable-looking post.  As a
moderator, how do you decide whether they're who they say they are in
the header of the email message?

I suppose that a rule could be put in place that the name needs to
"look like a real name".  That would eliminate things like
"Beebrain", but anyone who wanted to be anonymous would simply pick a
pseudonym that looked more like a name.  I think that the best we can
expect from the moderators is a reasonable attempt to screen
submissions based on information submitted.  There's no way that they
can tell if the name that's associated with it is real.  Anything
past that and you're just fooling yourself.

I, too, would like to hold everyone to their name.  It's simply not
possible to do so in today's Internet environment.

I apologize that this submission has nothing to do with beekeeping.