From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:16:26 -0500
Bill Truesdell wrote (and many have opined), "There are some who say
that the symptoms are unique, but they are not. The symptoms have been
seen with mites, nutrition and combinations of factors by those who see
thousands of colonies from many different organizations yearly. They
have been seen for years."

I too over the weekend attended the event to which Jim Fischer referred,
where Dr. Dewey Caron stated emphatically that in his 40 year career he
has seen nothing like a hive that exhibited "classic" CCD symptoms.  I
am paraphrasing what Dewey said, not quoting precisely.  It is my
opinion that Dewey's expertise is about as qualified as it gets.

I have seen a LOT of speculation regarding CCD on this list.  I cannot
speak to the validity of the discussions regarding whether CCD is or is
not the phenomenon it has been made to be in the press, I can but read
what contributors claim and decide whether I accept (or not) the claims.
And I have to admit that I am more inclined to accept the assertions put
forth by those who I see attending local, state, regional and national
meetings.  Personally I try to get to as many of the presentations as my
schedule and wallet allows.  Secondly, I tend to base my acceptance (or
not) of authors' assertions based upon their beekeeping credentials.  If
I know assertions are being made by someone who has been successfully
keeping bees for more than a few years, I am inclined to accept said
assertions more than I am inclined to weigh assertions made by
contributors who are new on this list, whom I've never seen at meetings,
and of whom I have no idea if they keep a few or many hives and have
been doing so for few or many years.

There have been many assertions lately that CCD is an unsubstantiated
flash in the pan, portrayed as more of a California wildfire by the
media.  I have also seen assertions that commercial/migratory beekeeping
is the bane of the industry, dragging the hobbiest/sideliner/static
community down with them.  My personal observation is that those who are
making such claims are unknown to me, that I have no idea of the
magnitude of their beekeeping operation/experience/expertise and that I
have not met these authors at meetings I attend.  And I readily admit
that my knowledge or lack thereof of a contributior in no way affects
the validity or lack thereof of their contribution, but it does impact
how willing I am or am not to accept and/or consider their contribution.

I was at a national meeting two years ago, in a large auditorium where a
gentleman made a claim that the Russian Bee may be the Varroa tolerant
bee that the industry is looking for.  His claims were far more glowing
than I have written here, but the claims aren't germane to point I am
trying to make.  When he made his claims from the back of the
auditorium, I queried from the front of the auditorium, "Who is the
gentleman making these assertions and what are his beekeeping
credentials?"  I think the man was a little taken aback by my query, but
he gave his name and credentials, and I put a lot more weight into the
statement he just made than I had only moments before when I thought the
Russian praises were being sung by a newbie who had a positive season
with a few hives of unknown Russian descent.  Afterwards I had the
pleasure of meeting Carl Webb.

So where I'm going with this is, the assertions that CCD is an overblown
phenomenon and the assertions that migratory beekeeping is the bane of
the industry make me wonder what are the beekeeping credentials of those
making the claims?  I am not challenging the rights of anyone to their
own opinion, but the assertions being made are contrary to what I am
being told at meetings I attend where speakers' credentials most likely
qualify their assertions, a fortiori, than the assertions being made on
BEE-L.

Remember, this is a list for informed discussion, not fervent opinions.

Aaron Morris - thinking this will open a can of worms.