From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 09:46:18 -0400
I also store my supers sticky.  I got started on this by a guy who claimed
that when supers were put on the hive 'sticky' the bees were much less
hesitant to go through a queen excluder.  After several years, I'm not at
all certain this is true but have continued the practice.

What I like about it is that I never have to content with the odious mass of
robbing bees and yellow jackets.  But...this is in the icebox of upstate NY
where wax moth is mostly not a problem after extraction in the fall.

I put my supers on pallets with a solid floor, so mice cannot set up shop.
I got several tarps made with elastic corners that just fit across six
supers, and they go on the top.  Some yellow jackets and bees get under the
tarps, but the mass robbing behavior never appears.

I store supers as high as I can reach.  I recall eight high.  I know someone
else who goes up 15 high with the help of some kind of front-end loader.

Lloyd

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.