Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2011 01:06:57 GMT
...just a followup on this.

Unfortunately, Corwin Bell is traveling and working on multiple projects, and won't be able to join us.

John Adams (the author...not "The Gentle Craft" author...the other beekeeping author named John Adams) will be joining us to discuss "Ancient Advances in Modern Beekeeping" and cutouts.  His book (which I don't think has been mentioned here) is a rewrite of one he did in the late 80s.  "The Success of the Longbox Beehive in America" is a great book...but it is unconventional (the first instruction is to turn to the back page and read it backwards...the pages are numbered accordingly, most of the time), and not just about beekeeping.  I recommend it highly to open minded folk.
http://user2017662.sites.myregisteredsite.com/catalog/i1.html

When we first went to visit Kirk Webster just a couple of years ago, there was a potluck for the local organic farmers.  At the event (200 miles from where I grew up and in another state), there was someone that looked familiar...like someone I played in the high school band with, and took a summer bike repair course with in 1985...and of course it was.  We had a nice time catching up, but I didn't know he was keeping bees, and that he had helped Kirk out on a number of occasions.  Well, in exchange for work 3 years ago, Kirk gave him a single nuc.  In that time (without buying bees) he has expanded to 70 colonies!  Andrew will be speaking on Saturday about his experience.

This one isn't beekeeping related, but I have to share.
http://FallingBlox.com
An old music friend of mine who is extremely intelligent by any standard and could be pursuing any endeavor he might care to, has focused on knitting.  He has developed algorithms and techniques for "double knitting"...where one image is on one side, and the other side is a completely different image...of the same knit.  He has a book coming out, and his work is stunning (Ramona used to make hats and do costumes for the Hasty Pudding....even her talented crafting friends are amazed).  Alasdair will be setting up on Thursday at the Picnic Table Science Fair along with Chris Baldwin focusing on queen rearing, Sam Comfort and others on mead making, and the state apiarist teaching nosema spore counting and tracheal mite inspections...along with other presentations.  We have placed bees on site, and there will be hands on in the beeyard.

In any case, more registrations are coming in every day.  This year we have single day registrations.  With our new venue, we have plenty of room and have added some extra kitchen staff (the conference includes 3 meals a day).  If you haven't read Kirk's review of last year's event, please do so on http://KirkWebster.com

More information can be found on our website, and feel free to contact me offlist if you have any questions.

deknow
Dean Stiglitz
Golden Rule Honey