From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:54:23 +0100
Janet Brisson wrote:

> I understand, in a
> scientists view, I am over jumping the gun and should do my experiments
> first and then report them.  That's probably true.  But I am not a
> scientist.  I just someone excited about something I see working and
> again,
> want to get the word out.
>
>     If this spring, our hives collapse in spite of all our work, I'll
> report that as well.

Well said!  I am not a 'scientist' either, although I studied the science
subjects at school and have always taken a great interest in the scientific
side of beekeeping.  In my view, ordinary beekeepers can contribute a great
deal by reporting their observations, even if they are not able to conduct
full scale studies with proper controls etc.  It is then for the
'scientists', who have the appropriate facilities and knowledge, to follow
up any promising ideas and prove, or disprove, their validity.  Much of our
present knowledge has come from simple observation and experimentation by
those with few qualifications.

Peter Edwards