From:
"David L. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:40:15 EST
In a message dated 2/17/00 8:49:31 AM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<    The study concerns high altitude areas only, but perhaps there are
broader
 repercussions at all altitudes. Maybe in the future, we will need to leave
 more honey on the hives for winter than in the past, even if spring does seem
 to come sooner. >>

   That's nothing new in the southeastern US. With our mild winters, and bees
flying quite a bit thru most of them, it's easy to deceive ourselves into
thinking that the bees are actually getting something. Mostly, though, they
are just burning up what they have.  Pollen is generously available most of
the winter, but nectar is most definitely NOT.

    The bees will get a temporary flush of nectar when the maples bloom,
which the past couple years has been at the end of January; with our cold
January, they have been held back, and I expect to see them any day now. But
maple will deceive the newbie. Sometimes they even will cap a little honey,
and we think they are just doing great. Two weeks later the maple is gone,
plus more of the reserves. Throughout March there are tiny dribbles of
nectar, no real flows. I've seen some powerful hives starve to death March
15-20.  Without reserves, all it takes is a couple days of rain or cold to
interrupt the meagre supply they have been finding.

    It's also amazing how quickly the concern changes from food supply to
swarm prevention.  My own plan is to feed all, whether they appear to need it
or not, until March 25, while having a second brood body on all the strong
ones by March 10-15.

Dave
http:pollinator.com