From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:29:59 -0500
At 1/15/02 12:00 AM, you wrote:
>Thus the perceived wisdom here is that we cannot risk using IPM until varroa
>'stability' is achieved by varroa becoming reasonably evenly distributed.

This comment seems to be base on a misunderstanding of IPM. There need not be increased risk with IPM. It merely dictates that one use a variety of control measures and save the chemicals for last, *if needed*. If you can control mites using mechanical methods, the need for chemicals won't arise. What is *not* wanted is to use chemicals first and ask questions later. That would *not* be IPM.

Unfortunately, there are no hard guidelines for how many mites indicate a need to switch to chemicals, so this has to be worked out by you. You may certainly try skipping spring chemical treatment if you see no signs of mites in spring, and try non-chemical methods during summer (sugar dusting?). But have the chemicals ready if mite populations start to pick up.

I have seen apiaries go a year or more without chems, but I believe there may be environmental factors involved (which are not currently identified or understood).

pb