From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:38:15 -0600
> Has there been any research on GMO seeds, and what they do to our industry
> bees seeing how wild ones reject them?

As Peter pointed out, we discussed this study here on BEE-L earlier and some
had a closer look at the study, itself and not just the abstract.  After
some balanced consideration, we concluded that this study does not prove, or
even suggest that the bees "reject them".  That would require another,
different study.

What this study did was compare *cropping systems*, not cultivars.  To
quote: "Pollination deficit ...and bee abundance were measured in organic,
conventional, and herbicide-resistant, genetically modified (GM) canola
fields".

Previously, some people, perhaps reading too quickly or with an agenda,
concluded that the study somehow compared the cultivars, however, that would
require making other things equal, and the other things not being equal were
precisely what this study was trying to evaluate.

When we looked at this study carefully, the confusion became apparent, and,
as I recall, someone communicated with one of the people involved.  Our
conclusion was that, although this is an interesting study, and something to
ponder, that the take home message is not so much about the cultivars in
question, but the entire management surrounding each.  That is not news to
beekeepers.  We have big problems with monoculture and sprays of all sorts.

FWIW, it seems from closer reading and rumination of the facts, that the
likely cause of differing bee levels of wild bee activity in the crops
examined were likely due to 1.) the amount of attractive weed in the crops,
2.) the surrounding environment (wild areas, weeds, etc.) 3.) the levels of
chemical use before, during, and after the crop and, 4.)  the cropping
history of the land.  Also, remember that these hybrids are designed to be
sprayed in early stages, before flowering, so any weeds, or volunteer
non-hybrid canola that might be training bees to the crop area or sustaining
them would be gone.

I live and work around these canola crops, and I can testify that, even if
the non-organic crops are not sprayed for pests during bloom, they may be
right after, and if that occurs, then the pilots often take a run down the
margins, as well, to empty the tanks, sell more spray, and get rid of any
pests that might be in the fencelines or adjoining crop. The effect of that
on wild insects living in the area lasts a year or more, particularly where
the insects do not forage far.  In other words, anywhere near a non-organic
crop is not an easy place for wild species to build or maintain populations.

As for whether the hybrids are any more or less attractive than other
domestic varieties, we have little or no useful info.  We know that
attractiveness varies even within samples of the same cultivar after
undergoing selection, but do not know if the differences are significant.

From my own experience, I can assure anyone concerned that honeybees are
attracted to and pollinate *any* canola, GMO or not and seem to thrive on
the nectar and pollens.