From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 11:44:32 -0600
> > We feed outside in drums and they will forage for it
>
> ...feeding outside the hives might work for you, but here in Denmark it is
> forbidden to feed the bees in the open, for many reasons, but mostly for
> robbery ( I personal hate to feed my neighbours bees) and spread of
> diseases. An other reason is that one can never be sure that the feed goes
> into the right hives.

Open feeding is illegal in many areas.  We are in a relatively isolated area
where it is permitted.  Nonetheless, caution is necessary, since this is an
expert technique that requires beekeeping knowledge and good observation to work
well and to ensure safety of people and animals in the vicinity.

As for getting the syrup into the hives that need it, one must consider that one
of the most important tests used in selecting bees for breeding is the syrup
storing test.  Bees are rated according to how much syrup they can hoard in a
measured time relative to other bees.  Bees that will not hoard are best
eliminated.  There is no sense keeping non-hoarding bees if we are trying to
make honey.

Another factor is that there is a strong pressure to hoard when the frames near
the brood are empty and less pressure when they are full.  Therefore, we find
that the bees tend to self-limit the amount they take, especially if the feed is
provided in two or more deliveries with time for the full hives of bees to get
over their hoarding orgy between feedings.  If there is a feeding frenzy and an
uninterrupted supply, bees will often plug every available space.  That is not
what we want.  When we feed in several deliveries, the slower ones catch up if
they are any good.

If not, open feeding reveals them as poor hives and they sometimes get robbed
out.  It is not unusual to find one or two percent of the hives empty after
feeding.  This makes our job easier.

allen
---
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Diary/