From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:57:44 -0400
Dee Lusby wrote:

> But high mite drops seeing is KEY! low mite drops in seeing is DEATH!!!!!

Since I have looked at hundreds of sticky boards, and counted thousands of
mites, I must point out that the boards give a basic estimate of the number
of mites in a hive. Low mite drop generally indicates low infestation. It
can also indicate an extremely weak colony or one about to die. I never
thought mite counts gave an accurate estimate of the infestation rate,
because they don't take into account the strength of the hive.

It is generally assumed that the bees that fall are primarily dead from
natural causes. Mites do die, you know. Some are no doubt killed by the
bees. To judge mite infestation I prefer to examine the drone brood. To get
a better picture, an ether roll or sugar roll must be done. This gives an
idea of mites per bee.

I doubt that powdered sugar dusting is harmful in any way to bees. To reject
the use of sugar or protein supplements as "unnatural" is an extreme
position at best. Unfortunately, I have seen this repeated in the news.
People are telling reporters that the colony collapse is caused by
supplemental feeding of bees. These practices go back at least a hundred