From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 2015 17:09:49 -0500
 > Cornell and NYS are the same for this issue.  They operate jointly.

I cannot agree, as the charter and other basic documents say different.

Cornell holds things and uses things in trust for the State.
Title to everything, down to the last pencil sharpener, reverts to the State
if Cornell stops using it.
This is not "joint operations", this is master-servant.

> The state association (ESHPA) has a duty to pursue funding
> for apiculture research at Cornell (or other NY university)
> through the NYS legislature and by other means, and if they
> don't,  well...why should Cornell continue to fork over
> money to keep Dyce open?

'Cause Cornell continues to get substantial USDA funds and NY State funds
each year to specifically be the sole provider of the ag extension function
in NY!

Why should we pay twice for the same service?  We already pay the taxes that
support Ag Extension!

Why Cornell did not go get some funding from the USDA and State Ag Extension
money to fund Nick Calderone's bee-related Ag Extension work when the Dyce
Process royalties dried up is a mystery to me.

If Cornell Entomology is not interested in the overhead and oversight that
comes with the money, then they should step back and hand the keys to the
Dyce Lab over to the Cornell Extension folks, who amazingly enough, also run
the NY Master Gardener program, and might have some really cool ideas on how
to do a Master Beekeeper program (Dontcha love it when a plan comes
together?).

> Who will work there, and what is the expected outcome?
> What is the plan?
> What do you think Cornell should be doing,
> and how do you think it should be paid for?

I've already answered most of these questions, but I'll summarize:

1)  "Who will work there?" - no one from Cornell Entomology, that's fer
sure!
2)  "The plan" is to follow the money, and find out why Cornell Co-op
Extension feels that beekeeping is not farming.
3)  What I think "Cornell should be doing" is preparing for an audit, as it
appears that internal controls were lacking in the Entomology use of
earmarked funds.
4)  "It should be paid for" the way that every other Ag Extension program is
paid for - with a small fraction of the dollars already allocated to Cornel
Co-Op Extension.

Bottom line here, Cornell needs their feet held to the fire to remember
where they came from, and what their raison d'etre  was, and still is.
They also need to be reminded that Ag Extension is not something they can
suddenly decide is "optional" for one group of farmers vs another.
There's that pesky "equal protection clause", ya know...  :)

Not to worry, I'll start at the USDA end, and they'll send someone up from
DC to "Help" Cornell.  :)