From:
"James W. Hock" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2006 01:53:05 -0400
> I just got someone to fix that.  There should be a picture online now at
> the following link:
>
> http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/products.asp?pcode=u501

There it is!  It's a wonderful tool.  I haven't seen this one in person, but
looking at the picture, I would replace the latches with the locking type.
I didn't see covers for the glass.  Assuming that the point of having an
observation hive like this is to leave it outside until you need it, covers
are important.  For the time I spent building mine, I probably could have
just as easily bought this one.  The hive in the picture is deep frames, I
couldn't carry this far.

I built my hive for medium frames.  While I could carry it under my arm, I
carry mine on a small dolly.  Full of bees and syrup, it is not exactly
light. I toyed with, and dismissed the idea of putting a handle on top. It
would be to much weight on those latches.

For just a day trip, one frame (and queen) under the glass and a little
syrup works fine.  For a few days, I load it with the queen on the frame in
the glass, two frames of emerging brood/pollen, two empty frames, and the
feeder half full.  When I have it on the dolly, the hive is tilted.  I don't
need to leave a trail of syrup.  To load it for more than a few days, I
might remover the queen excluder. Dead bees collect on it.  I have not left
it in the yard for more than a couple of days loaded.  When I do, I drop the
top frame down and leave and empty frame under the glass.

An Ulster hive adds new meaning to the term "family pet".  A couple of times
I brought it along to family outings because the kids demanded it.  It has
been the centerpiece at the dinner table more than once.

Jim Hock
Wethersfield, CT.