Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2007 11:39:44 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
As we hear frequently all beekeeping is local. 

Here in central Mn I did a 2 yr review of pollen my bees brought into pollen traps from 30 colonies 
in 3 locations. I hired a biology student who did her grad thesis on pollen identitification. 

During the course of 2 summers we found only trace amounts of pollen from corn and no soybean 
pollen. 

Right now our basswood trees are in bloom and we usually see a 2 week flow from sweet clover 
after that and by then the corn will be done giving off pollen.

The science just is not there to point a finger at GMO's as being unsafe for human and honeybee 
consumption. 

In my opinion the more real concern on GMO's is the transgenic transfer of pollen to other 
species, this is documented. 

Regardless of what is published by the CCD working group or respected scientists in the future, 
the urban myth of cell phones and gmo's causing CCD, etc has been circulated and accepted as 
truth by a segment of the population who knows nothing about science but has fervent almost 
religious beliefs that global warming and technology is killing the planet and fast. 

On a weekly basis I get people from this growing fringe group who shop our farmers market stalls. 
They don't want to hear any information or opinions that does not jive with their apocalyptic  
views of the environment. It reminds me of the Y2K scare only it has more of a religuous tone with 
very strong emotional feelings. 

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:          *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm  *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2