From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2006 19:50:01 -0400
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 08:00:23 -0400, Diotima Booraem
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi Bob,
>
>Thanks for your interesting response about the apples. I do
>understand the need for some sprays, -- I requested, and got, the
>spray schedule for Windy Ridge farms, and will send it to you
>offlist, if you want. They are strictly organic, but they do use some
>sprays that are allowed in organic practice.

The spray schedule means absolutely nothing, why not make
available their balance sheet at year end? or what about the pack out
numbers? May I suggest much of it went into cider, sauce,  pies etc.

As I said in my earlier post, my reply to the  granolas is show me the
operation that is making money year around (not a sideline business)
that are growing certified organic apples in the USA.

I am a strong supporter of organic & sustainable growing, I also need
to pay my bills. In my operation certified organic does not make any
economic sense.

We have the largest concentration of natural food coops in the USA
here in Mn. We also have one of the largest and oldest farmers
markets here in Mpls. In addition our Ag program at the U/M is quite
old and has produced the Honeycrisp apple and numerous other
research projects. My point is we have the resources , the market and
the folks interested in growing organic apples and its not happening
on a large or even small scale that is economically feasible

Diotima, your comments just do not reflect the harsh economic
realities I see every day in my business and we have a lot more apple
growers here in Mn and the upper Midwest then North Carolina.