From:
Trevor Swales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 21:48:33 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2001 4:08 PM
Subject: Re: BEE-L Digest - 26 Mar 2001 to 27 Mar 2001 (#2001-86)

> In a message dated 3/27/01 11:33:09 PM Central Standard Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>

> > When the notices about the closure of footpaths
> >

> I have been curious since first hearing about the outbreak in England:
What
> potential role, if any, might honey bees have in spreading foot and mouth?
> I'd especially like to hear from our English or Irish subscribers.  Has
there
> been any such discussion over there?
>
> Matt Higdon
> mid-MO mid-USA

Hello Matt,
We seem to hear so much contradidtory advice that I have come to the
conclusion that nobody really knows exactly how Foot and Mouth disease is
spread. Certainly there is a great chance of localised infection between
neighbouring farms but there are also isolated outbreaks which take some
explaining.
    Many people are convinced that this virus can be spread by birds and on
the wind, but I have not yet heard anybody blame bees.
    All are agreed however that a major potential source of spread is by
humans travelling about.Herein lies the problem facing U.K. beekeepers at
the moment-the bees may be OK but we are a risk as far as the spread of
infection goes.
    Yesterday we had a confirmed case of F+M about 8 miles away and as a
result of this I am not sure that I am willing to seek the permission of
farmers to go to my bees.The thought of just leaving my bees to get on with
it is dreadful. We are just coming into Spring and about3-4 weeks away from
a major flow.Some stocks may starve,and the rest will certainly swarm away
to nothing over the next 2-3 months,especially without supers.(latest
forecasts say F+M could run all summer).
    I was hoping for some drier weather and a chance to move my bees away
from livestock areas onto arable areas but with the disease now so close I
fear it is too late. As I allready stated this gives me no pleasure but I
think it would be wrong of me to put any pressure whatsoever on livestock
farmers who are allready very frightened.
    To be philosophical about it,my bees are just a part-time sideline
business to me but as I think about them more or less 24/7 it is a setback.
                                                                   Trevor
Swales,Yorkshire,England.