From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2007 11:11:01 -0600
> You can read all about it at:
>
> http://www.ars.usda.gov/sites/monarch/

I think this site should be a must read for all beekeepers. Also the
research was mostly paid for by big ag. Mainly because the USDA-ARS lacks
funding for such projects and the end purpose of the research was do get the
EPA on Oct. 16, 2001 to extend the registration of BT corn. I am very
familiar with the research as I watched with interest as I have concerns
over BT pollen and honeybees.

What should be considered as you read the USDA-ARS above site is the fact
that honeybees in my opinion are more susceptible to problems from BT pollen
that the Monarch caterpillar. Especially in drought years when no other
pollen is available. The above research makes a point which may pertain to
Monarch caterpillars but certainly does not apply to honeybees. The above
research says the window for pollen problems is around a week for Monarchs
and is effected by rain. I agree with the rain part but with honey bees
(especially in drought) the bees gather the pollen all day long and bring
back to the hive.

The researchers in the research ( also the research presented to the EPA to
help get the 2001 registration ) tend to only present the hypothesis that
the pollen does not cause a problem for reasons other than saying the truth
which is if Monarch caterpillars or honeybee larva are fed mostly on BT
pollen the pollen can and does cause problems.

In my area BT corn use is most of the corn. Also cattle country. With field
corn the corn pollen is with the plant for more than a week. Takes 120 days
for field corn to be ready to combine. Also I see bees in fields after
combining getting the pollen. A certain amount of the pollen goes into the
storage bins with the corn. I have a bulk feed bin on my farm and
unfortunately am forced to feed GMO corn to my livestock ( as I have not
been able to find a source of non GMO corn other than a long way off organic
supplier).

When pollen is in short supply the bees visit my livestock feeders picking
up pollen. At times I get calls from the poultry people abut my bees being a
nuisance in their corn feeders. I do not believe researchers would argue
that bees do not pack in corn pollen when other sources are not available as
about every beekeeper which has been around a chicken feeder in spring has
seen the bees picking out the pollen dust.

In * my opinion* bees are greater effected by BT corn pollen than Monarch
butterflies. I am not saying BT corn pollen is the cause of CCD but do
believe that the BT pollen does raise health concerns for honeybees. The
reason being that non BT pollen does not harm Monarch caterpillars or bee
larva and not disputed by researchers (even in the above study) BT pollen
does.

I lost my best stud animal this year. The vet could not find a problem. I
lost five of my best breeding stock a few years back. I sent two remains to
MU for study. The cause of their death was not found. The only thing which
was told to me was that since BT corn has come into livestock feed more of
the these cases are happening. Shortened life span.

I recommend the GMO Trilogy sold at health food stores for further reading.
Especially the documented stories of Farmers in the Midwest seeing livestock
problems from feeding GMO corn. Enough said!

bob

--
believed to be clean.