From:
Rick Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 08:48:10 EST
I give many presentations to non-beekeepers. As beekeepers we all represent
this industry to lay audiences. To say that beekeeping is important without
some quantifiable measure is not convincing. I say to these audiences that
beekeepers get between $100-200 per hive in honey, pollen, and pollination
fees, one measure that audiences can grasp. To give an estimate of a hives
contribution due to pollination to our agricultural production would help the
non-beekeeper understand the importance of honeybees to them. We as a group
seem expert at  giving precautionary warnings and hard qualifications to each
other about what not to say. The inquiry VALUE OF ONE HIVE TO OUR ECONOMY is
an attempt to quantify however inexact a measure of a hives value. The
feedback I have received has been terrific. This is not an exact science and
was said repeatedly by many. But however inexact, do venture an answer, a
specific number, to the question - What is a value worth to our economy?
Qualify and condition your answer but come up with a number and offer your
logic!

Contact me at:
       Rick Green
       8 Hickory Grove Lane