From:
Jeff Peck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 14:43:02 -0500
Being a Connecticut beekeeper, I would think bees that will forage at lower
temps would be an advantage here.
"[log in to unmask]" wrote : "Flying in very cold weather is risky and
undesirable since very, very few plants produce nectar in the cold."
What about pollen? My bees have been bringing it back from their cold
weather flights. Fresh pollen is needed for brood rearing in the early
spring. My bees have plenty of stores, yet they still fly at 38 - 40
degrees. I want cold weather bees, to handle our harsh winters. I plan on
splitting these survivors. These were home grown queens mated right here
in town.