From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 18:55:40 -0600
From: http://bluediamond.com/growers/field/detail.cfm?l_location=3

"As in other areas of the state, reports have surfaced of growers having
some degree of difficulty in securing adequate supplies of bees for the
upcoming bloom. Concerns have also arisen regarding colony strength amid
reports of problems with parasitic mites and their effects on the bees
within the hives."

Many beekeepers are seeing coumaphos resistant varroa for the first time. A
real shortage of hives exists in Almond pollination this year but the late
bloom and offers of higher pollination fees have worked with a few holdout
beekeepers.

What I see from the above site :

The bloom is very very late. My guess is about two weeks. according to the
web site the nonpareil are expected to start blooming around the 16th. (or
next Monday). I am positive the "Sonora" Varity which is currently blooming
is one of the main pollinator varieties for Almonds.

I do not know about the Neplus Varity talked about being blooming now. There
are many varieties of Almonds but Nonpareil is the big  number one grade
Almond and the Almond most growers use.

Because we are talking about the lower San Joaquin valley and the far
northern groves bloom about a week later hives coming back from California
are going to be late this year.

If hives are two weeks late coming out of Almonds many growers of apples
are going to be mad as they want the bees in the apple grove for *king
bloom* and then pulled. Bringing  in hives after king bloom upsets the
whole apple growers game plan.  Small apples and a thining problem.

Will be interesting to see the way things work out.

Bob