From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Aug 2005 07:01:46 -0600
> I've seen a lot of topics covered under replies to
> subjects not even related to what's currently being
> discussed.  Doesn't take too much effort to change the
> "Subject: Title".

Checking all headers before sending is a wise practice, generally.

The subject line should reflect the topic, but, even more importantly, the
"To:" line should point to the intended recipient.

Some software has a bad habit of guessing, and also of showing only the
name, hiding the actual email address of the person named.  This can result
in lost email at best, and at worst, serious and enduring embarrassment.

Moreover, in BEE-L's case, depending on the writer and the configuration of
various software at the sender, the LISTSERV, and the recipient, replies
initiated by hitting the 'Reply" button may, somewhat randomly it seems,
actually be addressed to the original writer only, or to the entire list.

Therefore, when replying to BEE-L posts, it pays to be sure to check all the
headers every time.  Generally, replies should be addressed to the entire
list, so all can share and comment, but, occasionally, it is more
appropriate to write directly to the sender.

In either case, it pays to check, so that your carefully researched, written
and edited reply, intended for the discussion, does not go only to one
person, and also to make sure that a personal message, of interest only to
one person, does not go to the entire list.

allen