From:
Christine Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 09:01:58 +0100
> >Man lifted himself from the primitive thru his imagination - or don't we
> >know that?
> >
> Tom Elliott said: No, we do not know that.
>
> Right.  Can we however use our imagination to imagine how early man used
his imagination?  Is that permissable?  Let us imagine for example early man
dragging his goods along on sleds as the North American Indians continued to
do until the settlers arrived. Then somehow,  in the Middle East, the wheel
came into use. Blind chance?  Someone just stuck a round object under his
sled for no reason?  Or did someone observe round stones rolling over each
other in a stream bed and the IMAGINE what would happen if he put a stone
under his sled?  Or perhaps he dragged his sled over a fallen branch and
found it easier to pull the sled while the branch was there and then made
the enormous leap of imagining what would happen if he could fix a branch to
rotate around an axle fixed permanently? We do not know for sure, right, but
does it not help to imagine what might have happened - as a way to train our
imaginations for applying to new problems?  Progress is so often made by
moving ideas sideways - or is that another statement Tom would challenge?

Interesting reading: J Bronowski, The Ascent of Man, 1973 - book to
accompany the UK TV series, 480 pages.  I quote ' Among the multitude of
animals wich scamer, fly, burrow, and swim around us, man is the only one
who is not locked into his environmnet.  His imagination, his reason, his
emotional subtlety and toughness, made it possible for him not to accept the
environment but to change it.'   So, not imagination on its own.  The
earlier series,  Lord Clark on Civilisation, is also interesting - buit I
cannot find my copy to quote.

Thru out this post, his includes her.

Let's get back to somewhere close to beekeeping.

Robin Dartington