From:
Jeremy T Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 13:18:45 -0400
David,

You are correct, these chemicals are toxic to bees.  The only hive that
I would be concerned about is the one that is very close to the corn
field.  Even so I
don't think that you will have any problems.  The bees don't have any
reason to be in the corn field, so direct losses would be very little if
any.  Just to be on
the safe side, I would talk to the farmer and see if he would try to
spray this field very late in the afternoon.  Also if he dosn't spray
while it is windy will help.

In North Carolina crop pollination is a big part of bee keeping.  Prices
around here range from about $35 to $45  per hive per season.  Research
has shown
that at least a 1:2 ratio, one hive per two acres, is needed for
cucumbers.  For crops like seedless watermelons there needs to be a 1:1
ratio, one hive to
one acre.  I rent all of my hives for $40.  You will have to check with
other beekeepers in your area to see what a good rate would be.

If you decide to rent out your hives then you will again find yourself
with concerns about chemical application.  It hepls to be in good
communitaction with the
farmer that you are working with.  Get him to show you around  and
assist you in where to locate your hives.  He will show you where they
will be out of the
way of any large equipment and labor that might be in the field. Try to
get him to use chemicals that are less toxic to bees that others, and
ask him to spray
late in the evenings.  Not only insecticides but some fungicides can be
moderately toxic to bees.

How about letting me know what you decide to do.  I am curious to see
what you could get for pollination up there.

Jeremy Barnes

--
Jeremy T Barnes
Email : [log in to unmask]