From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2007 23:59:21 -0400
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Could someone let me know what the identifying trait is between swarms
>from managed colonies and those from feral sources?

Didn’t Seeley do a study of ferals in the Arnot forest?
How did he know they were feral?  ;)

The identifying procedure is simple:

As swarms first settle temporary a short distance from the hive.  If no
hives are found to be present in the area, or the nest discovered,  then
you could have a reasonable assurance that it is from a feral colony.
Often the nest can be discovered or the homeowner knows where it is.

Research has shown that the median distance that a swarm travels is about
900 m,  few swarms selected sites beyond 1500 m or closer than 300 m.  In
an area such as mine with abundant voids, it would be reasonable to assume
that if domestic colonies are much beyond this range, swarms and trapped
swarms found beyond that range are likely to be feral.

Joe Waggle ~ Derry, PA ‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'
FeralBeeProject.com
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HoneybeeArticles