From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:51:42 -0500
Roundup & Bees

I have used Roundup right next to bee hives for years and have seen no
effects on them. The label claims that it is harmless to bees, and so
it seems. If they are not affected by direct application in the field,
then minuscule amounts in syrup would not be worrisome.

> A field study was conducted to investigate the effects of aerial application on honey bee hives (* Burgett and Fisher 1990). Bee hives and blooming vegetation in the immediate vicinity (1.5 acres) were treated at a rate of about 5% Roundup in 60 gal of water (6 lbs a.e./acre or 6.8 kg a.e./ha). No acute or chronic effects were observed for adult honey bees or for brood production. These findings were further supported by conducting direct feeding trials in the field.

* Burgett, Michael and Fisher, G. 1990. A review of the Belizean honey
bee industry: Final report prepared at the request of The Belize Honey
Producers Federation. Department of Entomology, Oregon State
University, Corvallis, Oregon.