From:
Yoonytoons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 07:03:39 -0400
Lizards, I concur, don’t seem to bother my bees to such an extent that
they call attention to their presence.  Annoying, yes, they could be at
times.  I have at least four, possibly more, around my home apiary and I
put up with them.  Although I have never seen one eating my bees, I liked
to think that they remove dead bees around the entrance with occasional
drone-dinner perhaps, the ones that catch themselves in the grass.  But I
have not seen one eating bees although I observed them carefully to check
just that.

However, respecting your wish to rid of them, I can share an anecdote.  In
my rickety bee-shed, behind my home apiary, I noticed a field mouse the
other day and to kill it, I ran back home and got one of my several black
cats: they are all mousers, one female cat, now with her litter, being
particularly good at the task.  Though I have never trained her, she seems
to know her job whenever I carry her in my arm over to the shed, for she
had caught a good number there.  This time she listened attentively to the
rustle coming from under the pile of fallen leaves and caught a fat
lizard, a T-bone stake.  Princess Cloy, my girls knighted her, sometimes
eats baby snakes, too.  That I use porous railroad ties under the bottom
boards appears to help lizards harbor around my apiary, for they have
established their habitat along the cracks.  Sometimes their leaf-
crunching sound makes me wonder if I am surrounded by snakes, not that
there are that many snakes on my property.

Yoon