From:
Garry Libby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 10:41:41 -0500
I've watched bees fly on 40 degree F. days and on a really bright sunny day,
have seen them come out of the hive and within one second, dive into the
snow. I've always suspected that they were confused by the sunlight bouncing
off the snow, causing them to become disoriented.

I have on several occasions taken a dozen or so into the house in a jar and
warmed them. Most of the ones I observed were healthy and flew off when I
released them.
I have not seen this happen when the sun was not bouncing off the snow.
My first winter when I only had two colonies, I rolled out an old carpet in
front and did see improvement.
Have any studies been done on this?

Garry Libby
Attleboro, Massachusetts, USA