From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:41:43 -0500
Hello Johnny & All,

>I am in the planning stage of building a new honey packing facility.

It is far easier to work with the health department than to tear up a
concrete floor etc. at a later date. Has been done. A commercial beekeeper
decided about fifteen years ago to write about  his honey house construction
in the American Bee Journal. Mears I believe was his last name if my memory
serves me correctly. In I believe about the third part of his article a
section of the floor was tore out and redone. you have to jump through
health department hoops. They can and will shut you down.

>I have a permit from the Health Dept. but the person I am working with
knows nothing about bees or honey.

Take a deep breath and relax. You apparently live in a rural county and are
the first beekeeper they have inspected. Although you are inspected by the
county inspector you can ask for the state to oversee the inspection
process. Then you will get the county inspectors boss. He will be *tougher*
but will have expierience in honey house inspection.

We went through a similar case when we relocated two beekeeping operations
into our county of Missouri but the state head of Missouri inspections only
attended the first inspection.

>The inspector is trying to inspect my entire operation and does not asked
me to change things anywhere from the syrup tank (doesn't like that it is
outside the building and has taken samples from my syrup), feeding pollen
outside in the open, empty bee boxes in the yard etc.

Never heard of such a problem. Most inspections of larger operations are
divided into two areas.

1. inspection of the crude extracting area. They are often not as hard on
this area.

2. If you bottle honey  area. They are very critical of this area. Must meet
restaurant standards.

All areas ajoining the above areas must be free of filth and places rodents
and insects can hide. They are very critical on this point!

>Does anyone know where I can get information to show that these things are
common practice in beekeeping?

The American Beekeeping Federation can fax or email a set of U.S. guidelines
which are excellent guidelines.

or contact Troy Fore at

I have listed below several commercial beekeepers in Arizona which might be
of help.

Crockett Honey Co. in Tempe is the largest commercial beekeeper now I
believe in Arizona
www.crocketthoney.com

The Robson brothers (Mike & Raymond) if still in business are in Phoenix.

Jim Smith is in Yuma if still in business.

>I live in Northwest Arizona and can't find any information on the rules and
regulations for packing honey in AZ.

The state inspector is head of county inspectors and should be able to help.
I am sure your county inspector is not going to be happy you are going over
his head but sounds like the solution to your problems.

Take a deep breath again. try to get along and the process will go easier!

>The health inspector does not understand that keeping bees and honey
packing will be two separate operations. Please help!!!

If you are doing the whole operation out of the same area then they are not
seperate!

Arizona might have different rules but my gut feeling is the inspector is
looking deeper than is required. He can look at septic , water into and out
of the area and if you use your house for a restroom your house restroom can
be inspected. If you hire employees then even stricter rules apply.

We have always been told that if county regulations for honey processing
areas are not in print then state regulations apply. If state regulations
are not in print then federal regulations apply.
I assure you federal guidelines exist and they are similar to the guidelines
published for ABF members.

I believe Arizona state honey processing regulations are in print but it is
not unusual for counties not to have county honey processing regulations in
print.

No county honey processing regulations are in print for our county in
Missouri.

You will also need to get used to the inspector *always* finding something
to write up on his inspection. The harder you try for the perfect inspection
the harder the inspector will try to find small problems.

 The reason is if the inspector simply turns in inspection slips to the
state without a writeup the state inspector wonders if he is  doing his
inspections!

My last inspection said the paper towels were too far from the hand washing
sink. A friend said his last inspection said the inspector did not like the
way his storage shelves were arranged in a back room ajoining his processing
area. Do not take those kind of writeups personal. NOT A BIG DEAL!

Getting on the bad side of your health inspector is like getting on the bad
side of your auto inspector in Missouri. The auto inspector in Missouri can
if he sees fit turn your auto down for 144 different reasons. With an auto
inspection you can simply go to a different inspection station and pay
another fee and perhaps get an inspection if the inspector does not catch
the problem

With a health inspection you are tied to the county inspector! He has the
power to shut you down! My advice is to not bull up but change your attitude
and try to get along. I saw it cost a friend close to 10,000 dollars in
repairs to satisfy a health inspector he got off on the wrong foot with.

I may not be saying what you want to hear but what you need to hear and
understand!
Your friend,
Bob Harrison

Ps. I almost sent to you direct but felt others on the list might benefit
from the information Johnny. Hope you do not mind!