From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 17:02:39 -0500
Hello All,
At the following USDA-ARS web site I saw a method of Africanized bee
detection being used I would consider primitive and not  very scientific.
The method is widely used in South Africa by several beekeepers on our list.
What else can you do miles from a computer and projector? I would think the
USDA would use FABIS at the very least but maybe they do check every so
often with FABIS to verify the labs conclusion. The purpose of this post is
not  to crticise but to learn.

Is color a valid method of AHB ID?

http://gears.tucson.ars.ag.gov/rf/pilot/index.html

quote from above USDA/ARS website

"All samples were frozen ,and the bees were later identified as having
either European or Africanized patrilines depending on the *color* of their
*cuticle* ."

Sincerely,
Bob