From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 22:40:58 -0700
Jim said: >What happened was that an
over-hyped tale of an exaggerated impact of CCD
on "the beekeeping industry" was leveraged to
justify conservation of native pollinators.

Again Jim, their agenda, the status report on pollinators, and national
pollinator week were all in place BEFORE CCD!  They have apparently been
putting forth the message for biodiversity for some time.  CCD just made
their point.

> we certainly don't need anyone
"helping us" to turn our agenda into part of
a long-term multi-million-dollar program,
when we need some quick work to at least
triage this darned "CCD" thingy.As you have made abundantly clear, by both
your statements, and your lack of replies to my questions, the NP folk had
nothing to do with our lack of proposals for emergency funding.  We have
only ourselves to blame for that.  I don't understand your obsession with
the NP folk.  We beekeepers are competing with thousands of other
agricultural interests for our place at the trough.  At least the NP agenda
overlaps ours on many issues.  The multimillion dollar proposed programs are
for long-term honeybee and pollinator issues, not just CCD.

>We have an agricultural issue to address.
Nothing more.I agree.  And it will be decided by the market, not
politics.Jim, since you clearly have "issues" with the NP people, and just
as clearly are not going to be swayed by either fact or reason, I'd like to
move on.

>My coffe cup is empty, so I'm done typing, but
the next step is to get some focus on some
funding that can get feet on the ground THIS year.  Wonderful, maybe we can
work together at this!  Yesterday I spoke with the Calif Almond board to get
them to write a letter in support of emergency funding for CCD research.
This morning I spoke with the Calif State Beekeepers to do the same.
Tommorow I will be speaking to our State Farm Bureau.  I've written letters
to both my senators, my representative (for the appropriate bills), and to
Sec of Ag Johanns.  How are things going at your end?  Got enough
coffee?Randy Oliver