From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 07:52:23 -0600
<< "I will give all reporters a interview AS
> LONG as i get to look and approve the finnished product" >>

>    It's the same thing as not participating at all, because most media
> organizations have policies against it...

Well, it works for me.

There is a difference between A.) demanding a veto and B.) insisting politely on
the right to scan the finished article before publication to catch obvious
misunderstandings.  The former is viewed as interference and an attempt to
manipulate the press, the latter is an offer to be helpful and is to the benefit
of everyone.

When approached for an interview or shoot, I merely state that beekeeping is a
technical subject, that is difficult to understand, and that it has a lingo of
its own.  Therefore a writer is likely to look pretty stupid unless someone with
knowledge of the subject looks the finished work over to catch obvious errors.
Writers are usually proud of their work and appreciate your help, if it is
really help and not an attempt at interference.

I insist politely on scanning any finished work, be it a news article or a
script, explaining that it is not my intent to tell the writer what to think or
say, but that I don't want my name associated with anything with gross factual
errors and I wouldn't want the writer to make a huge gaffe on my account.  I
don't insist on seeing the final final copy.  Getting a fax or having the
material read to me on the phone is fine.

I have never had any problems getting co-operation, and just about every time I
have found some little thing that has made the writer glad I read it over.

allen
---
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Diary/