From:
"S. Laveault" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:19:06 -0600
I've been subscribed to this list for about 6 weeks now, and I've learned quite a bit about beekeeping after you're already established. Thank you all for sharing your opinions/expertise!

My husband will be retiring from the military in a little less than 3 years, and he wants to start his own beekeeping operation. Not huge, but enough to supplement a pension. So far, we have nothing but a bungalow on a town lot, a book, "1st Steps to "Beekeeping" and some internet references. We will be looking to move to a country lot in 2 summers from now. I like to learn from other people's experiences, good and bad.... so is there anything, if you were to go back and do it all again, that you definitely would do the same, or something you would never do again? Anything you wish you could change? I'm talking anything from property, to building, to equipment.. and anything else associated with a start-up.

I'm also curious, is it possible to keep an observation hive in a town lot... or is that too dangerous?

Please excuse my almost complete lack of knowledge, and thanks in advance for your help.... :)

Sandi
(from Northern Alberta, if that matters for anything!)