From:
Kyle Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 12:05:21 -0500
Fellow Beekeepers,
Last summer I had lots of brood above the queen excluder.  I had two medium
boxes below the excluder, with brood and marked queen.  Above the excluder,
in one (later two) mediums, I had lots of brood.  I could not find a queen
above the excluder, but since I am a beeginner, I could have overlooked her.

How could I get brood above the excluder?  The question is academic now,I
suppose, but I am still baffled.  The hive had an upper entrance--could a
recently mated queen take up residence?  I put some brood above the
excluder when I installed it, to encourage the bees to move through the
excluder.  Could the bees have raised a queen above the excluder?

I have since read on BEE-L that queen excluders are for experienced
beekeepers, so I will likely not use them next summer.  I will also follow
George Imirie's instruction to use three mediums for brood.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Kyle