From:
Blane White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 08:37:14 -0500
Hi Everyone,

Todd asked:

"My questions are:  1) What is the general consensus as to the Russian
lineage?  2) Do my racial observations match up with others?"

As far as the Russian bees.  Dr Rinderer, when asked replied that he
had done the morphometrics on them and they were a carnolian type.
Different from the carnolian type in the US at the time but much more
like carnolian than caucasian.  This also agrees with a beekeeper I
coorispond with from Ukraine who tells me that the caucasian types don't
winter near as well as the carnolian types and are found naturally
occuring in more southern and milder climate areas.  These comments
agree well with the information on the Russian stock regarding wintering
and spring buildup.

blane

Blane White
MN Dept of Agriculture