From:
Scott Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 00:02:58 -0500
Greetings,
  Recently, the SHB has been found in our area.  I found myself in a
discussion about prevention/treatment.  Those of us discussing it were
aware that Checkmite+ was the only approved method for use in the hive, but
what stumped us were chemicals that could be used to treat the ground
around the hives.  I was aware that Guardstar can be used, but others were
suggesting alternatives.  Some said that since the product was used outside
the hive, it didnt require FDA approval.  I want to be able to go to the
next club meeting and present information about ground treatments that
could be used to break the life cycle of the mite.  Were they correct in
telling me that you could use other chemicals like granular Dursban or
Grubex, that are used to treat for lawn grubs?  If so, what other
treatments can be used? If not, could someone point me in the right
direction to find the info I need.  Thanks for your help with this!
Scott Moser