From:
Cal French <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:34:14 -0700
I spent some time watching a commercial operator who has thousands of hives
work with his bees when he was into the honey phase and not the pollinating
phase of his operation. He even dropped by my place and checked out my
hives and bees.  Anyway--bottom line--he uses very little smoke, just a
little puff at the entrance--less than the puff of a cigarette smoker--and
another little puff a foot above the top when he removes the cover, not
even down into the hive, so virtually no smoke comes into contact with the
open cells.
Bees have extremely sensitive olfactory systems. Even the fumes from a
smoker that has gone out will cause them to react.