From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 12:25:46 EDT
   One of the risks (and costs) of beekeeping is the health hazards we
potentially can encounter while working our bees. I spent the money last year
to get myself vaccinated against Lyme's disease, which has been a problem in
the area I keep bees in eastern Massachusetts. The vaccine, however doesn't
provide total immunity.
   I came across an article today on enn about another tick-borne disease
that I hadn't heard of before. As the article points out, ehrlichiosis has
been diagnosed in many parts of the U.S, including Minnesota and New Jersey.
Some highlights:

Tick disease bugs Connecticut residents
By Lucy Chubb

   "Ehrlichiosis, a disease that causes flu-like symptoms, is the second-most
common tick-borne ailment afflicting residents of southeastern Connecticut,
according to a recent report.
   "Scientists from Yale University, the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment
Station and the Connecticut Department of Public Health conducted the study
in a 12-town area around Lyme, Connecticut, from April to November in 1997,
1998 and 1999. Their results show a rate of 24 to 51 cases of ehrlichiosis
per 1,000 people.
   "'The rate of ehrlichiosis, even at 24 to 51 cases per 100,000, is still
much higher than previous estimates,' said lead author Jacob IJdo, a
rheumatologist in the department of internal medicine at Yale. 'At this point
it is hard to predict if ehrlichiosis will become as frequent as Lyme
disease.'"
   The article talks about Lyme disease and the frequency of its occurence,
its carriers, etc.
   "The symptoms of ehrlichiosis and Lyme disease are very similar, including
the rapid onset of high fever and body aches. Unlike Lyme disease,
ehrlichiosis does not produce a radiating skin rash around the area of the
tick's bite.
    "Ehrlichiosis is relatively mild compared to Lyme disease, but it can be
dangerous to older people, children and people with weak immune systems.
   "Though ehrlichiosis has been identified in animals for about 100 years,
the first human strain was discovered in 1986 followed by another in 1994.
Cases of ehrlichiosis have been found in many areas of the United States
besides Connecticut, including Minnesota and New Jersey.
   "Because ehrlichiosis is relatively new, it is not clear if the disease
induces any of the debilitating physical and neurological after-effects that
occur when Lyme disease is not treated quickly."
   The article also adds that there is currently no vaccine for ehrlichiosis.