From:
George Fergusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 07:55:45 -0500
At 08:25 PM 1/5/06 -0500, you wrote:
>>  Do you begin to label some of your floral honey as
>>Artisanal...

Normally I'm in favor of just about anything that sells more honey at a
higher price short of doing so at gunpoint, but I for one will avoid the
use of this term when I manage to actually obtain some honey to sell. It's
use is problematic and it's meaning is unclear.

First, how is it pronounced? Like "medicinal", or the other way?

Second, what exactly does it mean? I'm a real fan of using simple, clear,
and concise language with well-understood meaning rather than vague flowery
terms that ordinary people, like me, understand completely. It appears from
searching a variety of online dictionaries (most of which are of a culinary
nature) that the simplist definition of artisanal seems to be "made by hand
in small quantities." This may apply to my honey operation in so far as
"small quantities" is concerned, but techincally my bees make the honey and
I just rob it.

Truth in advertising aside, I just can't, in all honesty, call my honey
"artisanal honey" with a straight face and a clear conscience. I just can't
do it. I'll use terms like pure, natural, local, unprocessed, unfiltered
and raw. If using "artisanal" sells more honey for you however, great.

George Fergusson
Whitefield Maine