From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 19:35:45 -0500
Allen:
>Careful use of language and understanding of words, and respect for the
>accepted dictionary meaning is important if people are to understand one
>another and reach agreement.

Dee:
>there is no difference then between essential oils and
>acids from what other consider harsher chemicals, for all
>are found on this planet and thus in nature.

Response:
There is a very great difference. The key is NOT EVEN whether a substance is
a "chemical" or not. As Allen says, you should understand what is meant by a
chemical: generally, it is a product of chemistry. But if you want to call
baking a cake chemistry, that's fine.

The key issue in treatments is "what is the potential for harm". That is why
substances have been selected that occur naturally in honey. Various organic
acids and oils are already in honey. Of course, if these are concentrated
they can become poisonous.

Ordinary smoke is know to be one of the most hazardous substances you can
make. The first identified occupational cancer was in chimney sweeps. But in
small quantities, smoke is pleasant and harmless. Organisms have evolved the
ability to to process and excrete all sorts of pollutants.

Who will be harmed? If you can't prove that a substance is harmful when used
in specific amounts, then it is a non-issue. Pure food and drug laws were
established to test substances, determine the levels that can kill, levels
that can harm, and levels that are harmless.

In large quantities even drinking water can kill a person (as we all know);
some poisonous chemicals, like sodium chloride, are actual required in small
quantities for optimum health.

pb