From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 2009 23:10:20 -0500
There are a lot of people working to make high quality information
more widely available. We should encourage this effort. The age of the
internet has brought many harmful things, and even more of doubtful
merit, but this is one of the good things: the widespread distribution
of scientific research.

> Why would university faculty choose to place their scholarship on electronic archives for a world-wide audience? Many US universities have adopted such mandates for public access to faculty research, perhaps most notably Harvard, MIT, and the University of Kansas. These policies are harbingers of a new order, one in which essentially all scholarly articles can be found and accessed by any interested individual.

> A diligent electronic search for most any article or manuscript today will produce the item itself or some version of it. Unfortunately, many of the hits will be accessible only if one has a subscription to the journal, is part of an institutional community that has a subscription, or is willing and able to pay for the manuscript on an ad hoc basis.

> The knowledge presented through scholarship generally becomes more valuable as it is shared more widely and becomes a building block upon which further scientific advances may occur. We can speed up what otherwise might be a 20-year process and make it happen in three or four.

SEE
University Public-Access Mandates Are Good for Science, David Shulenburger
PLoS Biology | www.plosbiology.org | November 2009