From:
Mike Rowbottom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 20:36:24 +0100
At 14:05 09/10/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>I've got several mediums full of honey that's about 50% crystallized in
>the comb.  I can't extract it properly centrifigully (extractor shakes
>like hell!), and it's dark and excellent tasting (kind of malty), so I
>don't really want to give it back to the bees.  The foundation is crimped
>wire.   Any suggestions?

Earlier this year we successfully retrieved some fully crystallized honey
from oilseed rape.  We cut the comb out of the supers and chopped it into
about six-eight pieces per frame.  It went into a polythene bucket that was
then placed inside a larger polythene bucket fitted with an electric
immersion heater.  The space between the two buckets was filled with water
maintained at about 100 degrees F ( 38 degrees C) using a thermostatic
switch. The smaller bucket sat on a wooden platform inside the larger
bucket to keep it off the heater element.  After about four hours the
previously crystallised honey was liquid enough to pour off the wax through
a double plastic filter to catch any debris and small pieces of wax.  The
honey so obtained appears OK, and has regranulated in storage containers.

regards

Mike Rowbottom

Harrogate
North Yorkshire