From:
"W. G. Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 20:23:22 -0400
1)  Porter Bee Escapes:  They may work well in areas with cold nights, but in
areas where we harvest in high summer (like Maryland), they are a waste of
time.  The bees don't go down to cluster in the hives on hot nights, so the
bees don't go through the bee escape.

2)  Bezaldehyde:  If the stuff is now illegal to use in the US, somebody
please tell Mann Lake because it is still in their catalog.  This is my
personal favorite, although it does need a warm day to work well.

3)  Bee-go:  I have used it.  In the opinion of this beekeeper, the stuff is
misnamed.  It should be called "Everything Go", as the stink will chase away
bees, spouses, and skunks.  Never enter wax in a show from supers that were
taken off with Bee-Go; the wax will stink of the stuff.

4)  Bee Blowers:  They sound like a good idea, but they are a bit pricey for
my hobbyist/sideliner operation.

W. G. Miller
Gaithersburg, MD