Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 22:44:54 -0400
To bad about the beekeeping merit badge.  I have a Son who is 11 and is
becoming a scout soon, weblos now.  However if the scouts don't want the
young bee keepers, then maybe we can redirect our efforts to the 4H'ers and
they don't care what gender the youngster is.  My Son just completed his
first year of beekeeping for our local 4H and did very well and enjoyed it
 alot.  He received a State Fair entry on this try and did well at State.
 The State of Indiana had entries from 4Her's from 28 counties for first year
beekeepers and more for the advanced class.  There are 98 or 99 counties
eligible to send one or two entries in each class.  There are also classes
for showing bee products for commercial beekeepers and adult hobbiests.  In
addition there is an old timey Ag Building at the Fair run by Purdue and the
various beekeepign clubs take turns running the candle dipping exhibit.
 These candles are sold to support the State Beekeeping Organization.

So if the Scouts think were just too small then lets concentrate on 4H.  You
don't need to live on a farm to belong to 4H.  Some of the newer larger 4H
clubs are in more urban areas.

The bottom line is we need more youngsters interested in bees.

Bill Nelson, AKA: Apiarist
4 Hives more or less North Liberty, IN.