HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Camille Westmont <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2022 13:42:31 -0600
Hello everyone,

I hope you are safe and well. As part of the EAA Public Archaeology Community, Francesca Benetti and I are organizing a session on ‘Public Archaeology and Sites of Conflict’ (session #286) at the EAA Meeting in Budapest (31 Aug-3 Sep). Here below you can find the abstract – please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any question or would like more info.

Be aware that abstracts are due soon (February 14th). If you plan to submit an abstract, please let me know! We would love to have you join us.

Sincerely,
Camille

Public Archaeology and Sites of Conflict

The past is contentious, and archaeologists and heritage practitioners are often at the forefront of interpreting these sites for and with modern audiences. These professionals also have a critical role to play in mediating disagreements over perspectives of the past, or in understanding and negotiating personal and visitors’ emotions when dealing with signs of past conflicts. Working in sites of conflicts (or in sites that create tensions today) may require sensitivity (e.g. when dealing with human remains), clear aims, stakeholder collaborations, and a range of additional measures that may not be necessary in other contexts. How can archaeologists engage with difficult stories? What if stories of the past instigate conflicts/tensions today? What risks must archaeologists consider when working on these types of sites? Are there any opportunities to be harnessed? In this session we welcome papers aimed at exploring these topics, as well as others linked to sites of conflicts, from past battlefields to more recent conflicts and to social tensions stemming from different perspectives of the past.